WELCOME TO THE FRAMILY*!
Last week I began a discussion about being on mission, about sharing what we know. We said that being successfully on mission was not just about sharing but also about what we did before the sharing. I mentioned three things in particular: MINDSET, PREPARATION, and OWNERSHIP. At The Mosaic we would call this our UP. Today we want to move beyond those to COMMUNITY. We would describe community as our IN.
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines community (in part) as: 1: a unified body of individuals: as (d): a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society; i.e. a community of retired persons.
That, is the definition I want to run with, because being successfully on mission IS NOT about being in isolation. We do this alongside others who are also called… and WE’RE ALL CALLED.
We are individuals united under the leadership of Jesus Christ, a group of people with a common characteristic – we are all sinners saved by grace, and a common interest – the recovery of the world Jesus created, and we live and function within the larger society – our neighborhoods, workplaces, and cities. That is what draws us together… not our preference for Rock versus Rap or the Giants over the Dodgers – though let’s be honest, that one is kinda easy, right? Ok, sorry about that, anyway…
As individuals, we willingly come together in submission to Jesus and in execution of his two great directives, the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19) and the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37-39). In these two edicts, Jesus summarizes what has been from the beginning, God’s desire to engage the world in and as, community.
- Adam had the Father and yet God said he was not to be alone
- the world continued thru Noah and his family
- through Abraham God established a people who would become priests and kings of God
- God through Moses gave the Ten Commandments, telling humankind how to live in right relationship with God and each other.
- Jesus himself lived amongst a small group of men and women as an extended family for three years, and through them, changed the world.
So, what do we do when we practice our IN? We come together and we:
- Learn to know God’s truth – His Word. We develop a common understanding of what it means to follow Jesus by studying His word together.
- Learn to discern God’s desire – His Will. No one has cornered the market on knowing what God is doing. In community, we learn to discover the direction God is leading.
- Celebrate what God is doing in our midst. Has he challenged you, healed you, or used you? We want to hear about it.
- Encourage one another towards faith and good deeds
At the Mosaic, we do this on Tuesday evenings, 6:30-8:00 p.m. – all are welcome, including kids. It is communal, organic, informal, and on purpose. Individually and collectively, we practice our UP and IN, so that we can effectively practice our OUT… and that’s where we started. OUT is about being successfully on mission. We’ll talk more about that next time, for now here is a graphic representation of what we’re talking about. It shows how Jesus went about all this.
UP: A deep and connected relationship to his Father and attentiveness to the leading of the Holy Spirit
IN: Constant investment in the relationships with those around him (disciples)
OUT: Tune in next time.
So, how’s your UP and IN? What has God been saying to you of late? Where is your framily* headed? Holla’ back – We want to hear about it.
* Framily is a Service Mark of Sprint Corporation